About Me

Queensland, Australia
I cook, I scrapbook, I like to sing, I clean more than I'd like to.My newest passion is photography. I do not sew. I have a very full house and a very busy life and that's the way I like it. (Most of the time.)

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

It's Good To Be Home

No matter how exciting it is to get away for a while it's always just as ice to get back home to familiar surroundings and back to sleeping in your own bed!! While we were away Dan and I were sharing a double bed that rolled down at the edges so it was more like a king single and neither of us are small people so you can imagine how uncomfortable it was.

We didn't go anywhere too exciting. We own a rainforest block in a small town about 13hrs drive away from here so we went and stayed there while the older three kids went to stay with their mum for the midyear school holidays. It's a beautiful place but it's been uncared for for a long time and we haven't been there for two years so it was incredibly overgrown. It took alot of work to clear the area around the shed (it has a livable shed on it) . The whole area that was once lawn was covered with out of control wild raspberry bushes. If you've ever had to deal with them you'll know that they are nasty spikey things so it wasn't much fun trying to brush cut them (especially since I was stupid enough to do it in short pants. ) The first thing we did was cut a track to the creek and after all the hard work was done it was a lovely place to be.
This is an old Cathedral fig tree thats on our property. It's so beautiful but it was hard to get a good picture because the forest around it was pretty thick and the sun was in the wrong place. It's still pretty majestical though. It's incredibly tall and I love the way it's branches drape over to form an archway.

We stayed there for two weeks and it was pretty hectic. My mum and stepdad came to stay for a week. Mum hadnt' seen Harrison since December and Gordon hadn't seen him since he was three days old. They brought him so many presents. The toys I took on holidays with us fit in one backpack and we brought about three times as many home. Time to cull some I think.

Dan's mum also came to stay at the farm with us for a few days which was nice. Harrison had both his Grandma's at the same time fora little while so he was showered with hugs and kisses and lots of love and attention which made my life difficult when they both left on the same day.

Towards the end of the second week the rain had really set in which made the road up to the shed nice and mushy so we decided to go and stay with Dan's mum for the last couple of days. It was so cold at her place there was even frost on the grass and ice on our windscreen one morning. Now that might not sound like much to most people but it's an huge novelty for us northern folk who don't really get a winter. I loved dressing Harrison up in winter clothes and seeing him all rugged up like an eskimo. He looked so gorgeous. He even kept his mittens on.

A few other random pics from our time away.Trying to figure out why the grass is so cold.The frost on the lawn at Merle's place.

Snuggling with Gran Walking through the rainforest with Dad.

The kids flew back from their mum's house early Saturday morning so we took them out to a museum and had a lovely lunch and I got a really nice picture of them all on a train at the museum. I'll edit out Vivienne's red eyes later.

Harrison learned a few new things while we were away. He's been walking everywhere for the past couple of weeks. He took his first step the day before he turned 10months and a couple of days into our holiday he decided to ditch this crawling business and walk full time. He's also finally started holding his own bottles and sippy cups WOOHOO!!! and he' s pointing at things and asking 'dat?' as in what's that. He's babbling a whole heap of new sounds that sound like words and he now has 6 teeth!! I guess I just have to accept the fact that my baby is no longer a baby and is heading to the world of toddlerhood full steam ahead.





1 comment:

squirrelgirl said...

Glad to have you back! I missed you. Sounds like you had a nice trip despite the spikey bushes and cold weather. Harrison is positively ADORABLE in his little wooly suit!!!